When bed bugs bite

During one of my senior class' three-day retreat way back in highschool, I had an encounter with bed bugs. I spent my first night in that forsaken retreat house scratching my arms and legs thinking the place was just infested by mosquitoes (not that these pests were not a concern themselves). Imagine my shock when I woke up with red welts all over my arms and legs! I thought I had an allergy but since other girls also had the welts, we concluded that it could be bed bugs.

Our small bunch of "victims" asked the retreat house administrator for a change of matress and linens. The administrator was very apologetic and said that they have been trying to eradicate the bed bugs but since lots of people use their retreat house, they still get infestations from time to time. She also offered us a bottle of calamine lotion to relieve the itching.

When I arrived home from the retreat, I had my clothes washed with extra care. I wanted to dip my clothes in boiling water to get rid of the bed bugs but decided against it. And I am just lucky enough that I did not bring a bedbug home with me. Because If I did, there would've been a riot at home!

The problem with bed bugs is that you can get them easily. For example, if you travel a lot, hotels can have infestations and these bugs can find their way into your garments . Or you can inadvertently bring those bugs into your house when you buy used clothing or furniture. Yikes!

Since I learned my lesson, I am extra cautious when staying in hotels or spending nights away from home. I don't want to encounter bed bugs again so it pays to be extra careful.