Nurses Seek Changes in Grey's Anatomy's Portrayal of Nurses

I chanced upon a really interesting nursing-related website today. And I just couldn't shut myself up. I really, really have to blog about The Center for Nursing Advocacy and their efforts to shape the media's portrayal of nursing (their words, not mine).

Apparently, the men and women behind the organization do not like the way medical dramas portray the nursing profession. Their website has action pages for each "erring" medical drama wherein you can just click a link and a letter of protest will be sent automatically to the producers of Grey's Anatomy, House, or ER (didn't ER get the ax years ago?). The action pages were created to pressure the concerned producers to give frequent, accurate, and unbiased media exposure to nurses.

Furthermore, the Grey's Anatomy action page (really serious,huh!) has lots of single episode analyses of the ABC hit. I didn't read all of them but from the looks of it, The Center for Nursing Advocacy wants to end the show's alleged habit of associating nurses with STD, failure, strike, failure, to name a few.

Well, too bad. I watch medical dramas and find the shows informational and highly-entertaining, to say the least. Still, The Center for Nursing Advocacy raised some valid arguments. I just hope that nobody from their side stumbles upon this site and find the Nursing Humour and Anime Nurses posts I made last night offensive and demeaning. Inasmuch as Nurse in Cyberspace needs exposure, I do not want an action page named after it. Hehe:)

If you want to read more on The Center for Nursing Advocacy's letter-writing campaign, click HERE.

No comments: