Nursing Now A 5-Year Course

My father was watching the early morning news and told me that effective June 2009, B.S. Nursing becomes a 5-year course in the Philippines. He mumbled something about how expensive it would be for the incoming batch of nursing students.

I already learned about this bit of nursing news days ago as Lyle already blogged about it in Pinoy R.N., his nursing blog. I purposefully didn't write about it in my other blog, Ward Class, as something about this new development freaks me out.

I know adding another year to the nursing curriculum is an effort on the part of CHED to upgrade nursing education in the Philippines. But without closing down nursing schools that do not deliver (meaning, those who have had very low passing rates for years with no signs of improving), I don't think adding a couple of years to the nursing curriculum will improve the quality of nursing education in this country. It will only make nursing education exorbitantly expensive than it already is.

And on the argument that this move will eliminate the need for attending review classes offered by nursing review centers, people should get real. Reputable nursing review centers really help nursing graduates pass the Nurse Licensure Examination and foreign nursing exams. There were things I learned from attending nursing review classes I haven't even encountered in nursing school. But just like nursing schools, there are lots of questionable nursing review centers out there. And I think the best thing to do is to weed out the non-performing ones.

I'll have to blog about this nursing update in Ward Class. Because inasmuch as I hate to admit it, this is of interest to my readers. Aahh, it would be another one of those painful blogging exercises. Ouch!