Overcoming Computer Vision Syndrome

I sit in front of a computer for more than ten hours a day and these past few months, I have been experiencing symptoms associated with computer vision syndrome (CVS). Symptoms like headache, eyestrain, dry eyes, and occasional nausea manifest when I use the computer for extended periods of time.

And because the symptoms associated with computer vision syndrome significantly affect my productivity, I did some online reading on how to manage the condition. In many websites I visited, measures like adjusting lighting within the work area and reducing the number of hours spent on computer use have been recommended to alleviate the symptoms of computer vision syndrome.

Another way of alleviating the effects of computer vision syndrome is to adjust the settings of the computer screen to minimize glare. Since dry eyes is also a major symptom of computer vision sydrome, artificial-tears solutions are often prescribed by qualified medical professionals.

One of the articles I read made mention of pinhole glasses in alleviating the symptoms of computer vision syndrome. Supposedly, these special glasses improve clarity and resolution by restricting the passage of unfocused light rays that enter through the cornea making pinhole glasses suitable for those who suffer from refractive eye disorders and computer vision syndrome. There were also testimonials from those who purchased pinhole eyeglasses on the durability and affordability of these special glasses in comparison to regular prescription lenses.

Since more and more people have jobs that entail working long hours in front of the computer, I would suppose computer vision syndrome has become prevalent over the years.

Other people may choose to rely on measures like adjusting work area lighting or computer screen settings but as for myself, I plan to consult my ophthalmologist because I want to make sure that the symptoms I'm experiencing are due to computer vision syndrome and not because of an underlying medical condition.