All About Hair: Tools and Products I Use

I wasn't blessed with gorgeous hair so I went for a chemical treatment tonce or twice to tame my frizzy and wavy hair. Although I love having pin-straight locks, a rebond always leave me with with dull, limp hair and a fringe that's so flat that you'd think I was steampressed or something.

Since I cannot afford a regular salon treatment, I use inexpensive hairstyling tools and products to tame my usually frizzy and wavy hair and to add some texture or volume when needed. I do not use a lot of products on my hair and I never ever buy branded ones unless they are on sale. Below is a list of hairstyling tools and hair products I use.

  • Hair dryer- I just use an inexpensive Imarflex blowdryer which I bought for PhP350. I have been using this one for three years now and it is so old that it doesn't have the attached diffuser anymore. It is perfect for those days when I have to go out and have to use public transportation and do not have time to iar-dry my hair. Honestly, I hate it when I have to go out with my hair dripping wet and sticking out in different places.
  • Straightening iron- My big sister has a ceramic flat iron which costs around PhP3,000 (obviously, I can't afford it) so I just borrow hers when I am in the mood for sleek, straight hair.
  • Curling iron- I don't curl my hair a lot but when I am bored, I try to experiment with different hairstyles so I kind of like having one of these around. I bought mine for about PhP200 two to three years ago.
  • Brushes and combs- I have a round brush, a flat brush, and a wide-toothed comb. What I have are the cheap ones, not Denman or Goody. I use the brushes when I blowdry my hair and the wide-toothed comb for detangling damp hair.
  • Pins and coated elastic bands- I don't have a lot of hair accessories but I have a stash of pins and elastic bands in case I don't feel like wearing my hair down.
  • Regular shampoo and conditioner- I use Head and Shoulders because I can't stand the scent of other brands. For the conditioner, I use Palmolive but haven't been using conditioner lately. I just use Tony Moly Olive and Vinegar Hair Mist for less chemical build-up.
  • Hot Oil Treatment- Since I don't really go for expensive salon treatments, I use the pink variant of Biolink VCO Hotoil Treatment (PhP10/sachet). A sachet is good for 2 treatments and what I do is just slap it on for 5 minutes. Really, it works well everytime.
  • Hairstyling Products- I am now using a range of products by Shwarzkopf got2b. I bought the full-sized items at a discount store for Php99 each. I have a large bottle of got2b dazzling spray and I say it really gives lustre without weighing my hair down (unlike Vitress). I also use got2b styl-tini spray gel to add volume to my bangs. It works really great since it adds texture and definition without the greasy feel unlike the Gatsby Styling Wax I used before. For maximum hold, I use got2b kicked up hard jelly and just blast it with blowydryer to dry it out.
  • Hair Color- On rare occasions that I color my hair, I use Loreal or Garnier Nutrisse. Each box of hair coloring treatment costs around PhP400-PhP600, cheaper than going to a salon. I had a color treatment at a salon last Christmas and I paid around PhP1,300 and Iwasn't even satisfied with the putcome.
It has been five months since my last rebonding treatment and I don't think I will be getting one soon. The salon I went to increased their rates (had a full rebond for just PhP1,200 then) so I don't think I can afford it. With my medium-length hair, a rebonding treatment will cost me around PhP2,500-PhP4,000 and shelling out that much money will rip my wallet into pieces.

All things considered, I do want to have gorgeous hair because it is every woman's crowning glory BUT during dire times, I really need to practice austerity.