Am I Leaving For Hainan?

I almost accepted a job offer to work as a nursing/caregiving lecturer in Haikou City, Hainan. After some really serious thought and consideration, I decided to decline the offer and pass up the chance for various reasons.

Working in the Hawaii of China would have been a great opportunity for me to be independent once again but it just didn't feel right. First, the remuneration and benefits package is not tempting enough. Second, less than a month's notice is just too much for me. And lastly, the contract is good for twelve (12) whole months--I was expecting the sojourn to be as short as six months.

Giving it a lot of thought, I believe I made the right decision. I am comfortable with what I am doing right now and whatever salary I might've pocketed if I pursued that teaching post in Haikou City, I would certainly earn here in the Philippines.

For those who think that I simply chickened out, I did not. I was just smart enough to think of things far more important than a challenging job or a timely change of environemt. While working in a tropical paradise would've been mecca for some, I give prime importance to matters of personal safety and value of one's own capability.

No comments: